Pilot project dialect variation maps
How to use the maps
The map frame
The maps can be adjusted by holding down the mouse button on the map and dragging the map in any direction. To zoom in on a particular area, double-click the mouse. The zoom proximity may be adjusted by using the plus and minus in the top left of the map frame.
The feature described by the map is detailed at the bottom left of the map frame.
To search for particular forms, the search box at the top right of the frame may be used.
Below the search box in the top right is a drop down menu which adjusts the map canvas from the default road map to satellite images of the terrain. To select this view, click the small arrow beside the word ‘Map’.
Above the map description you will find a key listing the variation for the respective structure, with each variety’s corresponding colour indicator pin.
- To view the geographical distribution of just one type, simply click on the corresponding coloured pin in the key. To return to the full view, simply click the pin again.
- Multiple types may be selected at once. Simply click on the pins a second time to return to the default view.
Dialectal forms on the map
One pin represents one speaker interviewed.
- Clicking on a specific pin on the map will open an information box with the dialect location (in both Kurdish and the other local official language) and the exact dialect form recorded for that feature.
- Where more than one speaker was recorded in the same location, a small arrow button will appear in the bottom right corner of the information box. Click the arrow to scroll through the forms.
- To close the information box, click on the X in its top right corner.